Turkish Embassy in Bern

Embassy

Bilateral diplomatic relations with Switzerland began in 1899 – 1900, when the Ottoman Empire accredited its Ambassador in Brussels to the Swiss Confederation. Between 1908 and 1915, there was a gap in the diplomatic representation between the two countries. However, as of 1915, the Ottoman Empire had appointed an Ambassador to Switzerland with residence in Bern. During the transition period dating to the collapse of the Ottoman Empire and the proclamation of the Republic of Turkey, diplomatic relations with Switzerland continued. On 1 November 1922, the Turkish Embassy in Bern was attached to the transition government of the Turkish Grand National Assembly. After the proclamation of the Republic of Turkey, the Turkish Embassy in Bern was managed on the level of a Chargé d’Affaires.

In 1925, Mehmet Münir Ertegün, as the first Envoy of the Republic of Turkey, presented his letter of credentials to the President of the Swiss Confederation. The same year, an “Agreement of Friendship” between the Republic of Turkey and Switzerland was signed. Switzerland on the other hand, opened its first diplomatic mission in Istanbul / Turkey, in 1925. The first Swiss Envoy presented his letter of credentials to Atatürk in 1928. The Swiss mission in Istanbul was moved to Ankara in 1934 and became an Embassy in 1957.

Relations between Switzerland and the Republic of Turkey are close and diverse, and are characterized by regular high-level political dialogue as well as extensive economic and trade ties.